Aloo Paratha is a tasty potato stuffed roti common in North India. This aloo paratha is very filling for everyone and is best eaten with a vegetarian or non-vegetarian curry. A good vegetable salad as a side dish makes a good combo.
An important step to take care of while preparing Aloo paratha is when rolling out the stuffed dough. There is high chance dough can easily tear and let potato filling to come out. Then it won’t be a good experience to cook the roti on the tawa 🙁 , Don’t worry.. there is a solution – the trick is in the mashed potato consistency and using some wheat flour. Note: The contents of masala stuffing can be adjusted according to your taste preference.
Once you get into making the Aloo paratha 2 or more times it gets easier to prepare it whichever day or time you wish. 🙂
Without Further ado, Let’s get into Aloo paratha preparation
- Wheat flour – 1 1/2 cup
- All purpose flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Luke warm water – 1 cup
For Stuffing Masala
- 3 or 4 medium sized Potatoes
- 1 small / medium sized Onion – finely chopped
- Green Chilli finely chopped- 2 or 3 nos – Depends on your spice tolerance
- Cumin Seeds(jeera) – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Garam Masala – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Wheat flour – 1/2 cup in a separate bowl
- Ghee or Oil – 3 Tbsp
Method of Preparation:
- Prepare the dough – following chapathi or roti recipe click here
- Divide the dough into lemon sized portions
- For the stuffing, the ingredients must be very finely chopped. Not thick at all otherwise it might cause trouble while rolling out the stuffed dough
- Thoroughly wash the potatoes – no need to remove skin. Cook it in a pressure cooker, it must be mashable consistency
- Mash the potatoes, no lumps should remain.
- Mix in the chopped ingredients and spices into the mashed potatoes
- Using rolling pin roll out the dough to smaller than poori size
- Make a ball out of stuffing and place it inside the rolled out dough
- Wrap it sealing the top well
- Dip it in the bowl of wheat flour and cover with flour. Dust off the excess
- Next press the masala stuffed dough in between thumb and index finger all around to spread the masala. Make sure masala does not come out.
- Start heating the tawa, apply the surface with some oil and get it really hot
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface. IMPORTANT: if it starts to tear cover it with some wheat flour and keep rolling
- Now place the rolled paratha on tawa , when the top side slightly puff spread 1/4 tsp oil
- And flip it, press the paratha with a chattukam (flat spoon) or spatula
- Cook until it puffs, spread some oil. Using ghee would boost up the flavour
- Repeat the process with rest of dough balls
- Serve it hot with any of your favorite vegetarian or non-vegetarian curry – Chicken Curry 😉
Enjoy eating your steaming ALOO PARATHA !